“Where can I find more information about the mental health services that are available in this community?”

Your local Community Mental Health Center is a great starting point.  Johnson County Mental Health offers a wide range of mental health and substance abuse services to residents in Olathe.  They will conduct an assessment of your situation and link you to the appropriate intervention or provide referral to other community agencies.  They can be reached at (913) 826-4200.

“Will talking about suicide or asking about suicidal intentions encourage the person to kill themselves?”

No.  Asking a person directly about their suicidal feelings will often lower their anxiety level and act as a deterrent.  Conveying openness and concern can help a person feel comfortable to talk about their problems and help them feel less isolated.

Comments are closed.

Written By: John Laffoon Date posted: September 30, 2016